Photographers Vs Artists - Are Photographers Considered Artists?


Is photography an art? Are photographers artist?


While there are similarities since creativity and art comes from the right side of the brain, there are subtle differences between a photographer and an artist.  Many would think that a photographer is also an artist - the end results are the same.  A photographer has a pre-visualized image in his imagination and uses a camera and photographic skills to record that imagination onto a 35 mm or larger camera sensor.  An artist has also a pre-visualized imagination and uses brushes, colours, pastels and oils to record that imagination onto a blank canvass.  While the end result is the same, the processes to achieve the end results are not the same.


An artist creates their masterpiece by additions - landscape elements, trees, the flow of water and lighting are added onto a blank canvass to create the final output.  A photographer creates their masterpiece by subtractions - subjects, branches jutting out from corners, rubbish and landscape imperfections are subtracted from a chaotic scene to achieve compositional balancing in the final output.


Over the years, I have received many collaboration and exhibition opportunities from various gallery owners locally and internationally.  I have even received an offer to exhibit some of my images in an art gallery in Italy.  However, I found out that most of these galleries specializes in art exhibitions - the water colour and painting types of artwork.  I had felt that my photographic works somehow do not fit into these type of artistic categories.  Most of the time I had to turn down these offers, no matter how exciting it may seem at that time.  The only photography exhibition offer that I had taken up was the KL Guerilla Photography Exhibition at Avenue K and Klickr's My Neighbourhood Exhibition at Capsquare some years back.  I want to be known strictly as a photographer, not as an artist.  Although I did a lot of drawing and painting during my school days, I have no interest at all to dabble with brushes, pastels and oils once again. 


In case I am pilloried by this posting, I am not talking about fine art photography as I do not categorize my works as fine art.


Image 1: The 12 megapixel EOS 5D / Lens EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM


Image 2: EOS 5D Mk II / Lens EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM












CONVERSATION

2 comments:

  1. In my humble opinion, you are both.
    Keep on writing and sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by at my humble blog.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews